In the rapidly growing industry of digital signage, it is expected that the new year has a lot in store! From communicating information to advertising products and engaging audiences in a variety of settings, here’s what you can expect to see more of in this year’s indoor and outdoor digital signage displays.
3D graphics are generated with a computer, and tend to have a three-dimensional depth that presents a more realistic and immersive experience for viewers. 3D graphics are used in digital signage to make the content more attractive – for example, spinning logos and moving product displays. Moreover, the realistic imagery makes the content interactive, thus calling on viewers to engage and interact more with the content.
These graphics can also be used in a variation of settings depending on the customized needs of the application. Also, 3D graphics are more cost effective in the long run as they can be repurposed for other applications. Designers can use CAD software or other modeling software such as Autodesk, Blender or Cinema 4D to create and manipulate 3D objects, lighting, and animation. The finished product can then be exported to a format that can be displayed on LED displays.
Sustainability is a trend that is being observed in almost all industries, in an effort to cut down CO2 emissions. There is a significant movement towards people’s purchasing decisions being influenced by sustainability. Digital displays have several environmental benefits as compared to traditional signage:
- Energy efficiency: less energy used in LED lighting and have to be powered only when being used.
- Reduced wastage: digital signs do not need to be physically replaced with board, paper and other materials when the message has to be changed. Thus, reducing wastage and saving resources.
- There is no need to physically visit the location of an indoor or outdoor LED sign in order to replace it, hence eliminating transportations emissions.
- At the end of the life of a digital signage, it can be recycled, repaired, and reused. This results in lesser electronic waste accumulating at landfills.
A trend to be innovated further in 2023 is that of data expansion – one of the biggest applications used in digital signage. The sources of data are varied, and depend on your target audience. Some data types that can be expanded for an enhanced user experience are as follows:
- A wider perspective on real-time information such as weather and traffic updates, news, headlines, and so on.
- Supporting sales and promotional information such as discounts and new product information.
- Better wayfinding and navigation to assist and direct customers to the right facility or location.
- Improved communication with employees by displaying meeting schedules, recognition, sales targets, and other relevant information.
- Incorporation of social media feeds of brands will engage customers and encourage them to follow your pages.
- Company mission, brand awareness, industry news, and other customized data can be displayed on LED signs.
AR and VR
The use of Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) will tremendously expand in 2023.
- Displaying product demonstrations in a realistic and interactive way so customers can get a feel of the looks and functions of a product.
- Virtual games and other such interactive experiences can engage customers and encourage them to interact.
- Realistic maps for wayfinding will assist in navigation.
- Training and education in a virtual environment will result in more interactive and engaging learning experiences.