One important cost that is highlighted in building a digital signage network is that of creative content services – this involves the costs for people and processes responsible for writing, designing and producing the content that is shared across a network.
Only if the content is effective and timely, the signage network will be successful. Hence this is an area where cutting corners is not advised. However, graphic designers are indeed expensive and charge heavy fees for every idea and every opportunity to message an audience.
So how can high quality and innovative messaging be tailor made for an organization with a limited budget? Here are some tips and methods to make use of in delivering effective content that does not cost too much.
Involve in-house employees
Outsourcing the creative process will cost a lot, depending on the firm and the provider. If the existing staff possess any sort of creative skills, employ them in the content design process, at least to some extent. A member or two with a designer’s eye can contribute immensely with just a little bit of encouragement from the manager. The Manager itself has in depth knowledge of the audience and can be a great candidate for adding value to content design taking place at every point on the digital signage network.
Make use of existing resources
Over the past three decades, firms have seen and adapted to several technological challenges. Look back at how desktop publishing, email marketing and social media was adopted within the organization. These lessons from the past will help overcome new challenges. For example, a logo previously designed for a newsletter, a promotional email, and a video posted on social media can all be used to create content for newer technology – digital signage. Although some extra formatting may be required, this is just the kind of digital assets needed for electronic signage.
Opt for a software platform that is easily manageable
For large firms who have allocated big budgets on creating content with new vendors, working with an extensive marketing agency would be a good idea.
Firms with restricted budgets on the other hand will want to take charge of the project themselves. Digital signage software is available easily on the market with simple instructions on creating professional content. All that is needed is some detailed research on digital signage platforms that suits the firm’s requirements:
- Produces great looking and unique content – wide selection of beautiful aesthetics and templates
- Easily adoptable, simple user interface, no transitions
- Can be used on a daily basis
- Flexible media editor – can place images, text and videos in precise locations
- In-built support for data sources
- Cost effective
Although a budget restricted firm is trying to save costs, if an easy to manage system is needed, the setup process and equipment management needs to be thought about.
Setup process: Automation – for instance, 80% of content can be pre-scheduled with the help of automatic publishing techniques. This leaves just 20% for the staff to make sure it is timely and relevant.
Equipment management: whether the digital signage network consists of just a few digital screens or 20/50/100 screens, management should be easy. Time is money – hence, when a network is going at full scale (hundreds of screens), the system should be uncluttered and easy to operate. The system should allow execution of content across all screens in a targeted and powerful manner.